I met my goal of 75 pages and then some, for a total of 80 pages. The beginning started out fairly well, the middle stagnated, and the end I pulled through because of my cabin member’s exhortations to fulfill the cabin stats!
I worked on Spectra at the beginning…
…and then ditched it and most of camp for a long while.
Until about the last week I caught up by sketching a lot of pages each day. Pages that were no longer Spectra.
But this instead:
A fairy tale.
However, these last couple of days I edited Spectra 1 enough to share with friends, so I did write for it here and there. I’m excited to share it and figure out the best ways to revise it. I typed 1,319 words for it, and one of the middle weeks I had to write and draw by hand, so I need to add that to my revision document.
This version of Spectra 1 is only 11,490 words so far. It’s so tiny because I took only what I wrote from Sheyla’s perspective, I call it Just Sheyla for now. Meanwhile, Spectra 1 as a whole is at 39,763 words. Still small, but definitely possible to turn into a novel. If even after adding more to Just Sheyla it’s still too tiny, maybe I’ll work on the other POVs till they’re shiny and sorted out and I’ll combine them all in one, big novel.
I suppose writing the POVs one at a time makes sense. Each character’s tale can be tight and clearly laid out, and then I can see if they’re able to stand alone as novels, or if they need to go together, and it’ll be easier to see how to put them together. And it’s extra nice, because I can probably get a novella length story polished up and ready to show the world, even if the others will be worked on a bit longer…
All in all, the month ended on a pretty good note and I hope May will be even better now that I have this clear goal in mind.